As we begin to transition into Fall 2020, we have new Astronomy Office Guidelines. As before, the main priority in this will be the safety of our faculty, staff, researchers, and students, as well as their family, and our community overall.
For Astronomy, we generally request that everyone continue to work at home as much as possible. If your duties or circumstances (e.g., unsuitable working conditions at home) require you to come into the office, follow the guidelines below. Even if your duties require occasional returns to the office, if you are uncomfortable with return to work or unable to do so due to other circumstances (e.g. childcare), we will make accommodations so that you do not need to return to the office during this time. Please let me know about any of your concerns.
The latest campus guidelines suggest that students must be tested twice a week to maintain good academic standing even if they are not coming into the office. We are looking into this requirement and will let the graduate students know if this is truly required or can be waived.
If you are coming to the Astronomy Department, please abide by these guidelines.
- To come into the office regularly, you must be tested twice weekly at the testing sites, which requires your ID card. You will be assigned testing times by campus to alleviate crowds. To come into the office for a one-off, you must have a test result within the last 4-days. You will receive a receipt of testing either in the Safer Illinois app or electronicaly. It is recommend that people use the App for easy access. The entrance of some buildings will be monitored by Wellness Support Assistants (WSA). Since Astro will not have regular classes in the building, WSA presence will likely be random. Please obey the WSA directives.
- Facemasks will be required in the Department at all times in any shared, open, or public spaces, including hallways and restrooms. Masks can be removed in your private office with closed doors. If anyone shows any signs of respiratory illness, they must work from home.
- The Department will be locked. If you have food deliveries, you must meet them outside.
- Rebecca will be in the Front Office on Tuesdays in general, but check with her if you need something. She will be collecting and distributing mail on Tuesdays only.
- All meetings will be conducted online.
- The Atlas room, Library, and printer room meeting spaces will be closed.
- The Kaler Classroom is limited to 9 people.
- The mailboxes can be accessed, but only one person at a time and masks must still be worn.
- Any special colloquiums or seminars will be conducted online.
- The lunchroom is open for simple use with the following rules: 1) Limit occupancy to one person at time; 2) Wear a mask, as in all common areas of the building; 3) Please wash or sanitize hands both before and after using the fridge and appliances; 4) When done, use a disinfecting wipe to clean any surface that you or your food may have come in contact with (fridge handle, microwave keypad, interior of microwave). Wipes should be in the kitchen, but if they are not, then do not use the kitchen, and inform Rebecca; 5) After cleaning the interior of the microwave, leave the microwave oven door open for a few minutes to air dry. Please remember to return to close the door if needed; 6) Do not use the vented plastic lids that are in the kitchen. When reheating your meal, use your own cover or plastic wrap; 7) Eat your meal at your desk or outdoors; and 8) Please use disposable dishes or take your dishes home to clean.
- The water fountain will be closed.
- The elevator and stairways should only be used by one person at a time.
- Restrooms are open but masks must be worn with only one person at a time.
- If you have a shared office, establish shifts to limit occupancy or contact me for other options.
- The copier will be open, but use the provided wipes after use.
- Shipping/receiving/mail will be very limited. Incoming U.S. Mail is being picked up weekly. There is no outgoing U.S. Mail pickup or regular UPS parcel pickup. Since the front office is only open on Tuesday and the building locked, incoming deliveries should be routed to a private address, held for pickup at UPS/FedEx, or scheduled to be met at the door to the building.
- Please continue to wash your hands carefully.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Please check the University COVID page for more information: https://covid19.illinois.edu.
Thanks to everyone for their diligence and understanding during this difficult time. Stay safe.